Thursday, March 13, 2014

ADVICE NEEDED...

So,  pondering if I should get a replacement Husqvarna, or a Brother VQ3000?

Who has a Brother sewing machine?  What do you think of them?

I have a 'baby' Brother machine, which has never given me a moments problem.  But I'm unsure about getting the much bigger, more advanced model (VQ3000).

The options are the Husqvarna or the Brother.  I have to get what the shop can supply me, what they stock.

 ABOVE:  The Brother VQ3000.

So... while you can tell me what you think during the day, I'm going out to test drive the Brother... if I can find a shop that sells it near here.  If not, I will go to Onehunga Sewing Machine World.  Pretty sure they will have it.
Maybe I will let my fingers do the 'walking' first eh?  Track one down first.
Yeah, that's a good idea.

Now I have a few more photos of little Paisley, she got her first groom:

ABOVE:  adorable Paisley.  She was the little puppy who snuffled and snorted a bit, and I was a bit concerned for her, but Denise assures me she is 100% OK now that her nostrils have grown a bit.   She's still so little!   I think her Labrador sibling is giving her a sniff cos she's been to the groomers and smells different.  Cute.

Right, I'm going... got to do me homework before committing to a new machine.  I don't want to get it wrong.  Or get another lemon!

Also... not sure how Dante was overnight... must ask Bex.  I know he was still unwell last night, poor wee man.

ONWARD...

Well.. I found a shop that had a Brother VQ3000 demo model... so I hot footed it over to Sewing World in Onehunga and asked to be given a demo.
I'M IN LOVE.  The machine is amazing.  It has 531 different stitches, compared to Husqvarna's 175, and while it's not got a couple of the features the Husqvarna has, I think it's probably going to be my next machine.  

I hope I am making the right choice!

Bloody hell... Bex is in the kitchen making a hooah of a noise! What is she doing???

Oh... OK, she's making lollie cake for their Playcenter.  They are selling cakes etc in Manurewa tomorrow.  It's Playcenter Awareness Week apparently. 

I just spoke to Carol at the New Lynn shop, she rang Richard, the importer of Husqvarna's into NZ, and he is going to FIX the bloody machine AGAIN!
My heart sank.  It sounded like I was going to be forced to take Lemony back!

But no.  Carol assures me I don't have to take him back, I can and will be getting the Brand New Brother.  I may have to stump up with a little cash to bridge the difference, but I don't mind.   She is going to let me know the outcome as soon as the shop owner is back... (27th March).

Funny how things can change in just a few minutes.
I just got a phone call from Carol... and she must have spoken to the owner of their shop (Steve N.) and ... and... and... she is ORDERING my brand new Brother VQ3000 TODAY, and it will be ready for me to pick up next week!!!

AND... I can go over there and get a free lesson on how to use it too.  I am beyond happy.  

BJN:  The Lemon cover will be gifted to the new owner of Lemony.  There is NO WAY I am going to jinx my new machine with a Lemon Cover!

I am going to wait and see what sort of cover the Brother Dreamweaver comes with, and maybe make it a new cover if it's not a pretty one.  It's bound to be a hardcover, standard white.

I am now busy gathering all the bits 'n' pieces that belong to Lemony, so I can return EVERYTHING to the shop next week.

After that I am going to be sewing the label on the back of Rena's Ballerina, then it will be finally finished.  I don't know why it's taken me so long to get it finished.   I think I was just being fussy on how it looked.  I don't like to send anything out without being at least 99% happy with it.

What is lollie cake/slice?


Crushed up Malt Biscuits, chopped up Eskimo sweets, Condensed milk and hot butter all mixed together, rolled into a sausage shape, rolled over coconut and put in the fridge to set.  Sliced up into wedges.  Very sweet, very addictive, very evil.  But oh so yum.
I've not made any in a couple of years, cos I love it!

DANTE: is a bit better.  Still not 100%.  He does a fart... then his face looks really puzzled, cos they are liquid farts!  I'm so glad he's Bex's baby!
He isn't eating normally yet either... just bits and pieces, no full meal yet.
I'm sure he will come right over the next few days.

CHRISTINE!  You must live near Denise if you are getting morning cuddles with Paisley!  You lucky thing. 

End of Day:  the best day in ages in relation to my sewing machine from hell.  Lemony is never coming home again!  He is no longer my problem.  I just hope if he gets sold the new owner doesn't have too many problems with him... but something tells me they will.
nite nite

It's going to be a long night.
Griffin has been vomiting for about 5 hours.
OH HAPPY, HAPPY, JOY, JOY.
WONDER who will be next?

29 comments:

  1. Brother machine al the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:08 AM

    Get yaself a bruver they r gr8 and all ya probs will vanish 4ever

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are all good points yes test drive first and ask around SEWING groups craft nights? the shops may now or crafty groups quilters groups.... Hope Dante is better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would get the Brother machine. My friend has one and she just loves it. Did you leave your machine cover at the shop? Make sure if you did that you get it back, it is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But, but, but will the lemon cover fit the new machine?

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! Chris! How long have you waited for this moment! I'm beyond happy for you! Can't wait to see the pics and hear all about your new Brother! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:05 PM

    Yay! How exciting!
    Kate444

    ReplyDelete
  8. You DESERVE a brand new machine at no cost after all you have been through with Lemony. Just gas cost alone getting the thing to and fro to get fixed is probably outrageous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:25 PM

    Excellent news Chris, can't wait to see how it goes. I can see you keeping the lemony cover for posterity but don't let it go anywhere near the new machine, whether it fits or not! Have a new start... Hope Dante is on the mend. Mmm, lollie cake... Penny xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. With all the money you have paid for the repairs, the time lost and you still don't have good results on that machine. You should not have to pay any additional for the Brother machine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous3:34 PM

    Congratulations on the order of your new Brother!!! I'm so happy for you! Can't wit to see what you sew with it~ Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  12. What Bella said. You shouldn't have to pay extra! BUT. I would probably wind up doing it just so I could get something out of the deal. Lesson learned on Lemony... Honestly, I don't think I'd go back after all the hassle they gave you, once I had the new machine in hand and it worked well. I wouldn't say that there, though...

    ReplyDelete
  13. PS Been missing your family pics on the sidebar for a while... shame you felt you had to take them down but I understand how these things work sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous3:53 PM

    Great news about the machine, so happy for you. Can't wait to see Rena's ballerina finished. What is a lollie cake?
    Kym/Australia

    ReplyDelete
  15. My heart sank when I read they were going to fix it. Now I feel your excitement. So happy for you. Great outcome in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My heart sank when I read they were going to fix it. Now I feel your excitement. So happy for you. Great outcome in the end.
    Paisley is the most delightful we girl. She insists we have a snuggly cuddle each morning.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Eskimo sweets ? We dont get those in Australia, but looking at recipes I have seen lately and those Lollies I think 'Clinkers' could be a good substitute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clinkers wouldn't really work. You know how you can get the banana lollies? Well eskimos are similar texture to those. We have Eskimos at my local Coles and the Spar sell them too. Belinda - Gold Coast

      Delete
    2. Okay, thanks. We don't have Coles or Spar here and I have seen a lot of Clinkers Slice recipes that sound very similar being posted lately.
      Thanks for the feedback

      Delete
  18. Anonymous6:52 PM

    Paisley is so beautiful I remember your worry but look at her now MaryH

    ReplyDelete
  19. Let's hope the new Brother machine will be a good one. Surely you won't get two lemons. How exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Check Consumer magazine/website. I can give you a log in for the website (don't tell the Boss).

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous11:49 PM

    Thanks Bee I'll be looking at Coles on Brisbane. Looks yummy I want to try it. Chris or Bex could I please have the recipe with quantities etc? Thanks
    Kym/Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its soooooooooooooo good! hehe Good luck :) Ill have a look over the weekend at the supermarket and see if I can find anything similar that you could use just in case you cant find them. Bee

      Delete
  22. I hope you'll be happy with your new choice of sewing machines! Just make sure it will sew thick layers. Paisley is just adorable! What a cute face. I like her dark color. Glad to hear Donte is getting better, poor little thing. ...debbie

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous3:32 AM

    All I can say is my Lolly Cake Strategy (yes, it is official) is to never make it a home (except for a crowd) but when I really want it to have one slice at a cafe (this was in NZ - now I am in Australia this might not work since you people don't seem to know about it). A whole slab in my fridge - bad idea always regretted. A slice in a cafe - reminder why I don't eat this more than every few months. It is lovely when fresh, but so sweet!

    Penny xo

    ReplyDelete
  24. ah no more sickness :( Poor kids! Hope you don't catch it too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lolly cake looks delish!!!
    Chris have a look at the Janome MC9900. It retails at about $3500 AU and is a sewing AND embroidery machine. Something you might like to explore ;).
    Glad Lemony is on the way out though, it's caused you nothing but trouble lol.
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have two brother machines and love them, I did not choose them because they are 'brother' it just so happened that at the time that particular machine was the best for me.. But totally love my machines

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published once approved by a blog admin. Thank You.