Tuesday, December 16, 2008

FUNERAL TODAY....



Today Stew and I, his Sister Khady and a few family and friends say "Goodbye" to Ivor.... a father, grandfather, husband, friend and Returned Serviceman (WW2).

Ivor was a reknowned Horticulturalist here in New Zealand, having been instrumental in the formation of the Hamilton Rose Gardens, propagating totally new varieties of flax, and much more I'm sure!
He was a Decorated Soldier, earning the 'Bravery in The Field' Medal for saving his comrades during war. There is much I don't know about Ivor, but I know he lived a long and full life and will be missed by many.

I am sure the funeral will go without a hitch, it is this afternoon, so.... see ya later...
I have to go wash/dry/straighten me hair! Girl stuff ya know!
Dare I say we have had a lovely afternoon? Cos we have! The funeral was just lovely, not too long, lovely eulogies... Stew read his sister's and his own, I felt so proud of him. He is an AMAZING public speaker... he just has the knack, EVEN at funerals to draw everyone in and have them hanging off his every word.
Refreshments afterwards went well too, Griffin thoroughly enjoyed himself eating the whole time! I do believe that boy ate at least 6 pieces of chocolate brownies! And that was AFTER the sandwiches and sausage rolls!
Anyway, it's over now and we are resting at home before going out for a quiet family dinner.
End of Day: it's been a long day, I'm knackered.... so I'm off to bed. nite nite.

22 comments:

  1. Hugs! It is the kind of funeral, I dare say, the funeral directors would rather deal with. Long, full life. Happy memories. Loving family.

    My thoughts go with you this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you all today as you farewell a wonderful father, grandfather! Take care *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you all as you say your "goodbyes" to a wonderful man.
    Hugs,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking of you on this difficult day. best wishes...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thinking of you all on this sad day. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Take care today and I'm sure it will all go well.

    Those flowers are beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  8. We just found out tonight that one of our best friends passed away last night. You have my sympathies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thoughts are with you all this afternoon.... Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hugs.... Hope dinner is as nice as the rest of the day has been for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad everyone went well and I love the flowers (I'm assuming they are off the coffin).

    Hope you have a great night out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad today went so well Chris.

    The flowers on your table are stunning and will brighten up your house for days.

    ReplyDelete
  13. glad everything went well love the flowers too enjoy your dinner out

    ReplyDelete
  14. Was thinking of you all today, happy to hear all went well.

    Loved Stews sisters name..have never heard it before...!!

    Flowers are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely flowers! I like your table placemats, they are groovy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a very healthy way to say goodbye to a loved one. My thoughts are with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a great guy who accomplished very much in his life. I don't know if I would be telling people people he was a Horticulturalist. Is that legal in New Zealand? JK, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad to hear all went well. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad to hear that the funeral went well and that it was a celebration of life. The flowers are absolutely beautiful!

    Give Stew extra hugs tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think I ould trade all my medals for the credit of one rose garden. We will soon forget the bravery but never grow tired of smelling the roses. MUD

    ReplyDelete
  21. While I kniw I am a day or so behind, still wishing you and your family well.

    The Rose Gardens can be lasting tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sorry for your loss. I recently went to a funeral too. There was no eulogies. Just a Catholic service.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published once approved by a blog admin. Thank You.